Saturday, June 7, 2008

Home is Where the Heart Is

I don't even know how to begin to explain the last few days. The only thing that comes to mind is life-altering. It's going to be difficult to blog, but I think it's really important for me to share my experiences as best I can. A lot of what I write is probably going to be more centered around my thoughts and my emotions, so I apologize if it's difficult to follow.

I feel the need to talk about the people of Gugulethu before anything else, because they are truly the reason that I feel so amazing and why I think that I'm coming out of this a better person. The people of Gugulethu are by far and away the most welcoming, friendly, loving, high-spirited and "full of life" that I have ever encountered. "Minnesota Nice" has nothing on these people. I've had more hugs from complete strangers this week than I normally get over the course of a few months. I've shaken more hands, received more smiles, and learned more names that I can even explain. And I loved every moment of it.

Gugulethu, as I've explained, is a township that is a result of apartheid. People often think that the entire township is full of shacks, which isn't necessarily true. It reminds me of any other place (well, with more extremes)- there are people who have, and people who don't. There are nicer houses, and then there are shacks made of pieces of scrap metal and shipping containers. It's so difficult to see, and more difficult to explain, however its important to note. And here's why: no matter where these people stand economically, they all of the best attitudes that I have ever been around. People are always smiling, laughing, joking, dancing. More on the dancing another time. People who have absolutely nothing are so excited just to be alive. Life is a gift,and they don't intend to waste it.

So many of us feel so at home now in Gugulethu. How amazing to find a home 8000 miles away from your own, with people who are so very "different" from you. It just doesn't seem possible. I feel like I have 8 other "mommas" as we called our host families, and I know that any time I walk into their homes that I am welcome. You just don't find that back at home. I'm not undermining anyone, just stressing how intensely wonderful these people are. Here we were, 18 white kids from the U.S., and a community of black Xhosa-speaking South Africans, and it felt just like home. It's one of the best things I have ever felt in my life. As one of our host daddy's said, "When you are here you aren't a stranger. We're all brothers and sisters." And it just felt true.

However, in my entire time in Gugulethu there was one group of people who have touched me the most, and who have given me the time of my life. And they were the kids. These kids are growing up in some of the worst conditions that you can even imagine. Some of them have no shoes, no socks. Many of them are orphaned, or are living with aunts, grandmothers, older siblings. They probably sleep 5 or 6 to a bed at night, and odds of them having more than one (if that) decent meal a day isn't good. They face the dangers of rape every single day, just walking to school. They are growing up in a way that no one should ever, ever have to live. And yet- every single child that we saw was the happiest kid that I had ever met. They're always laughing, smiling, waving. They held out hands, kissed our cheeks and always wanted to be hugged.



The entire time that we were working with the kids, which was generally for multiple hours a day, I never saw one of them cry. Not once. No frowns, no complaining. Just pure happiness. This might not sound that strange, but when I think of my past experiences with kids and home I just kind of wrinkle my nose. They're always whining, crying, bored, hungry, etc. Not these kids. They're honestly magical. And being with them and learning from them has changed my life.



It all boils down to attitude. We might not be able to change our situations. Life isn't perfect- it never will be. There are so many injustices in the world, and trying to solve them all just makes me want to break down and cry. But the people of Gugulethu have taught me such an important lesson. Life is life, no matter where you are. All we can do is live, and all we can truly give is our love.

I truly understand now why the meaning of Gugulethu, in Xhosa, is "our pride". They have so, so much to be proud of.

No comments: